Nicotine Replacement Therapy
One strategy to assist patients as they work to achieve their health goals is through easier access to and coverage of nicotine replacement therapy. IPA successfully advanced legislation in 2018 to allow pharmacists to dispense nicotine replacement therapy under a statewide protocol. Following passage of the new law, the Iowa Board of Pharmacy and Department of Public Health adopted rules and a statewide protocol.
To help pharmacies participate in the statewide protocol and provide nicotine replacement therapy to patients in their communities, IPA has created this webpage with all of the resources needed for pharmacies to get ready, set, and GO!
Get Ready:(Background information to understand Iowa’s NRT rules and statewide protocol)
Get Set:(Training pharmacy staff; NPI obtainment; professional liability coverage)
- Obtain your NPI as a pharmacist
- Verify your professional liability covers participation in these services
- CEI NRT-related training
- US Dept. of Health and Human Services, Public Health Services, Clinical Practice Guideline – Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence
- Pharmacist-Led Tobacco Cessation Service – Implementation Toolkit (Pfizer & PSW)
- Utilize Quit Line as a referral resource: 1-800-QUIT-NOW (800-784-8669)
- Tobacco Cessation Worksheet
GO!(Operationalize the NRT service in your pharmacy)
- Payment Determination Grid – Statewide Protocol (member login required)
- Promising Practices for Pharmacist Engagement in Tobacco Cessation Interventions (APhA)