2014 Telepharmacy Task Force Releases Recommendations
- By: IPA
- On: 06/10/2014 22:07:51
- In: Press Releases
- Comments: 0
Task force provides seven recommendation for telepharmacy practice in Iowa.The Iowa Board of Pharmacy and the Iowa Pharmacy Association convened a Telepharmacy Task Force that met throughout the spring of 2014. The task force consisted of pharmacy practitioners with current practice experience related to telehealth and telepharmacy. The primary objectives of the 2014 Iowa Telepharmacy Task Force were to create guiding principles for telepharmacy practices in the state of Iowa and recommendations for IPA and the Board of Pharmacy. Considerations to legislation, regulation, workforce, and patient safety were incorporated into the work of the task force.
The task force developed the following recommendations:
- To pursue legislative changes in 2015 to IC chapters 147 and 155A, amending the current requirement for AMDS in telepharmacy practices.
- To revise telepharmacy rules in 657 IAC, re-defining telepharmacy and establishing necessary criteria.
- To state the purpose and intent of telepharmacy rules, providing that telepharmacy is intended to increase access to pharmacist and pharmacy services, and enhance the care and communication between patients and pharmacists.
- To create an application form for telepharmacy sites, to be approved by the Board of Pharmacy for each applicant.
- To recommend continuing education and training for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians on providing patient care services through telepharmacy.
- To maintain rules relating to hospital pharmacy remote order verification in board rules regarding hospital pharmacy practice (657 IAC Chapter 7).
- To further explore opportunities for telepharmacy applications in other pharmacy practice settings, including long-term-care pharmacy practice.
Task Force Members:
There have been no comments made on this article. Why not be the first and add your own comment using the form below.
Leave a comment
Commenting is restricted to members only. Please login now to submit a comment.